Wed, 17 Apr|
Shop 2, Charles Street Plaza
Bioactive Terrariums for Kids
Create your own miniature world to bring the wonders of the outdoors right into your living space!
Time & Location
17 Apr 2024, 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Shop 2, Charles Street Plaza, Charles Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
About the event
In this one-hour workshop, you will design and create a tiny, living, bioactive terrarium. Along the way, Helen, who has a science degree and a passion for nature, will teach you about the science behind terrariums and why we call them tiny, bioactive ecosystems!
What is a bioactive terrarium? A bioactive terrarium contains more than just plants. We add little insects, called springtails, that help eat the nasty stuff in the terrarium, creating a healthier ecosystem. This is what occurs in nature (but on a much smaller scale!).
You will not only take home your very own bioactive terrarium world, but also all the information you need to care for it and a wealth of new knowledge about the natural world.
The perfect mix of science and creativity, creating an experience like no other.
- This workshop is suitable for ages 7-17. It provides an introduction to terrariums and ecosystem science. No prior knowledge or experience is required.
- An accompanying adult is required to stay with the participant for the duration of the workshop, but does not require a ticket (for ages 7-12). Younger children may need assistance with some parts of this workshop. As an accompanying adult, please be prepared to work with your child/children and support them where required. We are there to guide your child/children for the whole workshop but can't help everyone at once (as much as we'd like to!)
- All materials and tools for creating a medium cork jar terrarium, including springtails and a figurine of your choice.
- Care instruction leaflet and carry box to take home your new mini world.
- Lots of fun and a safe space to learn and get creative!
This workshop could get messy! Please dress accordingly. As we are working with organic material, no food is to be consumed in the workshop – water in a bottle with a lid is allowed.
- Ticket type
+$1.20 service fee+$1.20 service fee